Saturday, April 23, 2022 – Great But Exhausting Work Day

Hey Babe,
Up with the alarm early, and just about had time to do all my chores and have breakfast before the work day was supposed to begin. James got here right on time, but everybody else showed up a lot later, which was find because it wasn’t supposed to get too hot today, so I guess no one was worried about that. I had a camper come in last night and stop right in the middle of the road, but realized this morning it was because he got stuck in the sugar sand and couldn’t get out. Unfortunately, when I came out to do my rounds I found him trying to work his way out, but of course, he only made it worse and was practically dug down to the axle by the time I got there. We tried to pull him out with my truck, but it was too deep. I told him I had a tractor coming and to hang tight and we’d get him out, but he and some of the fellow campers kept at it, jacking him up and putting boards underneath until he appeared to be cleared enough, then I came back and pulled him out with my truck more easily. And that was just the start to the day! As people came in, I assigned tasks, and we ended up getting a lot done. The last manure bin was built, a bunch of the chewed and broken boards in Barn Two were replaced, and lots and lots of palm fronds and palm trees were taken down, some of it moved next to the dumpsters so people can burn them, and some taken back to a big pile down by the pond. We found a lot of rosary pea plants, which are poisonous to horses, so James and I started to develop a strategy to get rid of it, but it will take some time. I went into town and picked up more screws and lunch for everyone, as well as drinks and chips, then got more work out of folks in the afternoon. Long day! Dennis kindly chainsawed some new blocks for my ramp, which was great. Then we started having problems with the water in the shower house again, and after several attempts to solve the problem, we ended up having to close the shower house again. This water system really needs to be completely reconfigured! Anyway, it was after 8:00 by the time I got back to the trailer, I was feeding horses during mosquito hour, but I’ve finally settled down. Lunch was big, so a bowl of ice cream and a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter, plus a beer, will do me for the night! I’ve got a busy morning tomorrow, too, to get ready for a Zoom seminar I’m facilitating tomorrow. Heading for the shower and bed asap tonight! Good night, sweetie! Love you!

Speak Your Mind