Monday, Nov. 16, 2020 – Travel Day to FDR State Park, GA

Hey Darlin’,
Finally had a great night sleep, woke up just once and fell asleep again right away. See, no wine last night! Sorry to say that’s the problem, guess I’ll have to cut out the wine, sigh… Was up and at ’em at 8:00, had a quick bowl of cereal and finished packing up. Stephanie helped me with the slideout, it’s really starting to give me trouble now, I’m going to have to do some research to see if there’s a way to fix it without having to take the whole trailer apart. Managed to get out before 10:30, and since it was only about 60 miles away, I arrived just before noon. Turns out the “horse camp” is really nothing more than a parking area, and fairly small at that. There are a number of highline posts around the edges, so I pulled in front of the most level ones I could find, that also looked like it would give me some sun for my solar panel. I got the horses on the highline and got partially set up, then after I unhooked I drove over to the park office, thinking that that was where I had to pay, and after standing in line for 15 minutes, found out they had nothing to do with it, I had to go to the stables. So I drove back down to the stables, and even though they weren’t open for trail rides today, there were people around, and boss Daniel arrived a few minutes after I got there and got me signed in. He suggested I ride along with one of his groups tomorrow at 10:00, a two hour ride, and I think I will, just to get a lay of the land. It seems the trail map isn’t terribly accurate, so it might help to do that, so it’ll be Apollo tomorrow, since all their “ride” horses are quarters, and I’d spend the whole time trying to hold Flash back. Guess I’ll have to leave Lola home, too, but my plan is to take the long “Cowboy Trail” trail the following day, so she can come with me and Flash then. Got back to camp, decided not to put any chairs under the awning for now, since the days seem like they’re going to be too cool to be sitting outside anyway. The horses are just outside the door for a change, kind of nice to be able to see them out my bedroom window. Decided to just take it easy the rest of the day, so I watched TV and read. I had to run the furnace today, it’s getting that cool, and it’s low 40’s tonight so the horses have their winter blankets on again. Glad the drive was uneventful, though I’m looking forward to warmer weather and longer stays as I get further south. Moving every week is not my favorite thing anymore, can’t believe for a while there we were moving twice in one week! There has to be enough trails to make a longer stay worthwhile, and I’d like a few amenities for a change, I’ve been doing primitive too many weeks in a row. Water is a challenge here, I’ll have to transfer from the truck tank into the trailer, which is kind of a pain. Bobby had suggested getting a small pump to put on the tank, which would make things easier, and I may look into that. I can get more water at the barn when I need it, though, so it’s not too bad. Anyway, time for bed. I may even skip my shower, since I didn’t do anything to work up a sweat in the cold weather today. Good night, babe! Love you!

Speak Your Mind